So, it is now officially cold in New York. Yesterday was my first sight of snow since I arrived here in August. Though it was in the form of flurries, which until I moved here was (plus a Mc) just a highly unhealthy but yummy dessert. I do not do well in the cold. I am a pussified California girl still finding new ways to layer my clothes. And I'm still working on figuring out a way to wear a full on ski mask and not come off as creepy. The worst part is by far the wind. By the time I get anywhere my eyes are puffy, my skin is red, tears are stuck to my temples and I'm hoping the teased hair look is back in style.
And now for a minor pet peeve :
(still working on my major pet peeve, one day I'll post it)
Cat-call shouting men run amuck in this city, especially in my neighborhood, and it is starting to drive me mad. I hear, "oooh yooou sooo pretty" and a lot of "God bless ya, baby" and on the two occasions I wore tights I got "nice legs". To some women this may be flattering, their defense being, "who doesn't want to be complimented on their looks?". And I hear ya, and would agree with you if these men were James Franco or even Jason Alexander but when it's everyday and the one spewing the "compliment" is holding the hand of their child or is over 60, one gets sick of "compliments". And I haven't even mentioned the puckering of lips and unfortunate smacking sounds that, I guess are supposed to resemble the sound of a kiss. The worst is when as you continue to walk past, possibly picking up pace, they are offended, "oh I see how it is" and "bitch" sometimes follow. Listen, they have every right to speak their mind and I have every right to say nothing. Though, I have thought of some things I would like to say, but my balls remain small and ineffective. Has this ever worked? Has a man ever yelled in a woman's direction, "look at you honey, uhh!" and the reaction been anything other than negative? And, as I imagine no one is getting laid from these advances, isn't the definition of insanity doing something over and over again expecting a different result? If only I could see into their less than creative minds. I had never, ever imagined one place could be so saturated with cat-call spewing horn-dogs.
That is all for now, later I will fill you in on my obsession with the band Mountain Man.
-April
No comments:
Post a Comment